Saturday 11 March 2017

Sustainable Textiles: My Banana Fibre Scarf!

My favourite present from Christmas has to be my scarf made from recycled banana fibres. My Granny got it for me off a craft fair stall and one of the reasons I love it so much is that she pays attention to the things that are important to me: sustainability and ethics.


The amazing thing is that you would have no clue the scarf was made from a banana plant! Recently I have come across articles discussing other sustainable fibres.

A little list of plant based fibres:

  • Sustainable vegan leather made from mushrooms
  • Sustainable vegan leather made from pineapple (Piñatex™)
  • Linen made from flax seed
  • Thread and textile made from banana stems
  • Thread and textile made from bamboo
  • Yarn from eucalyptus pulp called Tencel/ Lyosell
  • Organic or recycled cotton

Where can I buy plant based fibres?

People Tree - Fair-trade sustainable fashion using organic cotton and sustainable Tenecel


H&M Conscious - Recycled cotton \and Lyosell



No comments:

Post a Comment